It seems like we can’t escape plastic. It’s everywhere. Most of our food is packaged in it, and lets face it, it just isn’t as safe as the industry or the FDA have led us to believe. I’ve been aware of the long frustrating debate about plastics’ effects on our and our children’s bodies, so I thought I’d share this article that I just ran across on Simple Organic Living that might act as a good rule of thumb .. at least until more damning evidence comes out against plastic packaging and bottles.
This article is not sourced; however, there are several sources provided in the comments on the original post at Simple Organic Living.
- The least toxic (not non-toxic) plastic is, HDPE (#2 symbol) and PP (#5 symbol.
- The most toxic is PETE (#1 symbol), PVC (#3 symbol), PS (#6 symbol) PC (#7 symbol) and packaging with no symbol at all
THE ADVICE: avoid plastic when you can.
- Buy a glass water bottle or less toxic plastic reusable water bottle. Labels like “BPA Free” on “safe” plastic bottles don’t necessarily mean non-toxic, in many cases the industry replaced BPA with even more harmful chemicals.
- Use a filtration system at home if you don’t like your tap water
- Do not heat or microwave food/liquids in plastic containers, transfer items to microwave safe glass or ceramic, or heat in a pot/pan on the stove/oven
- Do not use an insulated mug/thermos with a plastic interior (stainless steel is a better, glass is the best)
- Use glass storage containers at home. Yes, the lids are still plastic, but contact with the plastic is reduced drastically, and a piece of waxed paper can be used to further protect your left-overs from touching the offending substance.
- Try to only drink water from a plastic bottle when there is no other option available
- Use wax paper bags in sack lunches for kids and adults
Please read the full article at http://simpleorganiclife.org/plastic-bottle/